Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Nightlife

I went out clubbing last night and I hated it.

I used to enjoy the messy crowds, the anonymity, the carnival atmosphere. But it's no longer anonymous, I keep running into people I know. And I no longer go by myself, so I don't get the sense of freedom from it that I once did.

And although I am glad I once did it properly, although I learned a lot from watching people dressed in rainbow capes and angel's wings, platform heels and leather boots, I do not find it interesting now. It never changes. Bars close and new ones open but the soul of Kings Cross remains constant.

I want to go, these days, to places where I can hear people talk. That is what makes people interesting, not the colour of the streaks in their hair, not a spray tan, not vertiginous high heels.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment